Friends of the Mark Twain House & Museum
Join Our Active Friends Group!
The Friends of The Mark Twain House & Museum is the volunteer organization that has supported the museum for more than 50 years.
It began as the Women’s Committee in 1952 when, according to then-President Walter K. Schwinn, the Board of Trustees sought to add to its membership “women with the time for and interest in planning benefits, cataloguing acquisitions and organizing membership campaigns.”
In 1993, the Women’s Committee celebrated its 21st anniversary. The name was changed to Friends of The Mark Twain Memorial, reflecting a membership that now included men. From 40 initial members, the membership had grown to over 200 diversified members. In 2003, the organization adopted the name Friends of The Mark Twain House & Museum.
Today, the Holiday House Tour is sponsored by Friends of the Mark Twain House & Museum and features Mark Twain’s own 19-room mansion as well as several impressive private homes in the area. Since 1967, this successful event and other fundraising efforts have allowed the Friends to contribute approximately $1,000,000 to the operating funds of The Mark Twain House & Museum.
For more information on membership please contact our Membership Co-Chairpersons:
| || || |
Chuck Paydos (860) 242-4825
Dee Peters (860) 233-4066
Officers 2014 – 2015
|Membership Co-Chairs||Dee Peters, Chuck Paydos|
|Vice President||Karen Licht|
|Recording Secretary||Gloria Intravia|
|Corresponding Secretary||Barbara Zyla|
|Treasurer||Carolyn D. Vallieres|
|Program Chair||Lynne Lumsden|
Directors 2010 – 2012 (two-year terms)
Directors 2012 – 2014 (two-year terms)