Current Exhibition Extended: Twain’s Attic, Highlights From Our Collection
July 24, 2019 • 10:30 am - November 8, 2020 • 5:30 pm
Take a peek at 90 objects from our collection that cover the saving of the Mark Twain House and our founding; Nook Farm players; Tiffany, pop culture; the Langdon family; and Clara Clemens and Ossip Gabrilowitsch (with their home movies). Also artworks, letters, books, and signatures.
In 1929, Katharine Seymour Day, grandniece of Twain’s neighbor Harriet Beecher Stowe, helped persuade the Connecticut General Assembly to establish the Mark Twain Memorial and Library Commission. The Friends of Hartford lobbied the state for many years to stop the demolition of the historic Twain House.
The house officially opened as a museum in 1974, 100 years after Samuel Clemens and his family took possession of their new Victorian-era mansion, where they lived until 1891
The exhibition includes a Tiffany folding screen, a Cabbage Patch Huckleberry Finn doll, and a Twain portrait by James Carroll Beckwith.
Admission to the exhibition is included with your paid tour ticket.
The exhibition is sponosred by United Technologies Corporation.